Shipping an engine by freight is surprisingly reasonable, but there are a few things you can do to make it even more affordable. We are here to help you find the lowest possible rates. Take the following into consideration to get cheaper rates on your shipment.
- Ship to and from a business address whenever possible. Freight companies charge more to deliver to residential addresses. There are several reasons for this, but one of the primary ones is that it’s typically easier for a freight truck to reach and park at a business to load and unload freight.
- Have a loading dock or forklift available on both ends of the shipment. An engine is obviously heavy and requires effort and care in loading and unloading. If a forklift or freight dock isn’t available. you will need a truck with a lift gate to load your engine. Freight companies charge more for lift gate service.
- Watch Your Weight. Freight charges are based in a large degree on weight and size of the parcel. If there are components that aren’t necessary to ship, it’s a good idea to remove them from the engine to save weight.
- Package Appropriately. Try to limit the size of your pallet to what you actually need to securely protect your engine. You will obviously pay more the larger the size of the item you are shipping as a single truck can carry more small loads than large ones. When quoting a freight shipment, the size of the item is one of the primary considerations.
- Don’t Rush It. As our name implies, we are experts at getting engines from one point to another in as short as one day. Anything is possible, but it’s not always necessary. Maintain as much flexibility as possible regarding the times for pickup, delivery and time in transit in order to get lower rates.
We are here to advise you on these and other matters to help make shipping your engine or other performance products by freight as cheap and worry-free as possible. Give us a call today and let us get it on the move.